Every month an item or document held in the University Archives and Special Collections will be selected, photographed and displayed in this blog. To dispel the myth that archives are full of fusty old documents, our first item is a bell and plinth, still in full working order. This once hung in The Priory, a hall of residence for St. Paul’s and St. Mary’s students during the early part of the twentienth century, located on London Road in Cheltenham.
The dedication plaque reads:
“In Ever Grateful Remembrance of May Stock, Priory Senior Prefect, 1920-21. This Memorial is Given by her Family and College Friends”
This item gives a sense of the strong bonds made by students at the institution. It is one of a variety of fixtures and fittings such as plaques, paintings and other objects from the many buildings which made up the predecessor colleges of what is now the University of Gloucestershire. These items are now housed in the University Archive.
If there is a particular item or document from any of our collections which you would like to see in future features, please get in touch.