Dymock Poets, Gloucestershire Poets Writers and Artists

New John Drinkwater material

We recently purchased some new John Drinkwater material to add to our extensive holdings on the Dymock Poets. These plays and speeches were once part of John Drinkwater’s own personal library, and includes a cancelled edition of the play ‘Puss in Boots’. All items are signed and accompanied by handmade slip-cases.

John Drinkwater G-10-17-2 1

The new titles are:

Cophetua (1911)

Puss in Boots (1911). Cancelled version. Includes colour illustration “for John”

The Only Legend: A Masque of The Scarlet Pierrot (1913)

Rebellion: A Play in Three Acts (1914)

Robin Hood and The Pedlar (1914)

The Storm (1916)

The British Academy Warton Lecture on English Poetry XIII: Some Contributions to the English Anthology (With special reference to the Seventeenth Century) (1922)

“The Other Point of View”: The Oration Delivered by Mr John Drinkwater” (1928)

John Drinkwater G-10-17-2 2

John Drinkwater (1882 – 1937) was a playwright and poet who went on to become manager of the Birmingham Repertory Theatre. His first major success came in the form of the play ‘Abraham Lincoln’, first performed in 1918. He was a member of the Dymock Poets, and published in their journal ‘New Numbers’. He was an associate and friend of many actors and writers during the early half of the twentieth century.

The Dymock Poets were Lascelles Abercrombie, Rupert Brooke, John Drinkwater, Robert Frost, Wilfrid Gibson and Edward Thomas. They lived in and visited Dymock in the months leading up to the outbreak of the First World War, gaining inspiration from each other and the surrounding Gloucestershire/ Herefordshire landscape.

These new titles are available to search on the University’s library catalogue, along with our other Dymock Poets publications. Archive material including original letters and photographs can be found on our Special Collections and Archives catalogue.


General, Projects

New Home for Special Collections and Archives

The Special Collections and Archives service has moved from Francis Close Hall to Delta Place, where all of our collections are now located.

Over the summer we’ve transformed an open-plan office into a repository for the University Archive and several special collections. We also have two new collections; the ITN News Archive and an Artists’ Books Collection.

Before – A blank canvas


Nine lorry-loads of shelving and boxes were gradually delivered and the space began to take shape.

During – Controlled chaos!


Delta Place is now home to thirteen diverse and engaging collections that encompass literary giants such as the Dymock Poets; vast resources on local and national history in the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society Library; archives of artists and sculptors in our Whittington Press and Forest of Dean Sculpture Trail collections; documentary photographs charting national and international news during the later twentieth century in the ITN News Archive; and of course the rich history of the University of Gloucestershire covering the past 170 years.

After – Ready to welcome back our researchers


The service is open to staff, students and members of the public. Archivist Louise Hughes is on hand to help with your research, whatever topic big or small. Academic staff are also encouraged to contact the Special Collections and Archives for module-specific archive sessions using our wealth of material.

Our online archive catalogue continues to grow as our collections are catalogued and made available to search online. All collections are also accessible in-person by making an appointment.

Open Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 10am – 6pm:

Special Collections and Archives

University of Gloucestershire

Delta Place

27 Bath Road



GL53 7TH


01242 714851

Delta Place location map

Displays and Events, University History

Heritage Open Days 2017

We’re excited to announce that this year the University of Gloucestershire will again take part in Heritage Open Days, a national initiative that sees places of historic interest open their doors to the public for free.

On Sunday 10th September 2017 we’ll be hosting tours of Francis Close Hall (from The Chapel) at 10am and 11am, and Park Campus (from Elwes Reception) at 1pm and 2pm.

Francis Close Hall opened in 1850 to accommodate the male students of Cheltenham Training College. Designed by Samuel Daukes, it is one of Cheltenham’s best examples of a Victorian-Gothic building. The tour will take in the grounds and buildings, recounting the history of both and the students who have studied here.

The Park Campus was originally planned as a zoological garden by Thomas Billings. Despite opening on Queen Victoria’s coronation day, 28 June 1838, the enterprise failed and Billings sold the site to Samuel Daukes, who operated it as a pleasure garden and built the villas that still border the campus today. The tour of the grounds will uncover the history of the site and how we came to own it.

Tickets for both tours are free and can be booked via Cheltenham Tourist Information Centre, based at The Wilson Art Gallery, in person or be calling 01242 237431.

More information on other Heritage Open Day events in Cheltenham and beyond can be found on the national website https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/.


Exciting collaboration with AtoM users


The University of Gloucestershire Special Collections and Archives are currently involved in a project with other AtoM catalogue software users to make our descriptions available on the Archives Hub. Archives Hub brings together catalogues from hundreds of higher education and specialist archives in the UK, making all their descriptions searchable in one place. Having a presence on Archives Hub will increase the audiences for our collections both in the UK and via Archives Portal Europe.

Jen Mitcham of the Borthwick Institute at the University of York is co-ordinating the project, working with Artefactual, the developers of our online AtoM catalogue. AtoM (Access to Memory) is open source archive cataloguing software, meaning it is free to download and set up. We’ve been working hard to make our collections available online since setting up AtoM in summer 2015. So far three of our collections are catalogued and searchable, encompassing almost 5,000 descriptions.

Jen has written a blog explaining more about the project here.

Our project partners are:


I look forward to sharing an update when our descriptions are live on the Archives Hub.

Dymock Poets, Students, U A Fanthorpe

Creative Writing students in the archives

Today I had a visit from 2nd year Creative Writing students and their tutor Lania. We looked at material from our Dymock Poets Special Collection and U A Fanthorpe Archive, even listening to an audio recording of Robert Frost reading his own poetry. It was lovely to listen in on how the students used the material to inspire their creative processes.